Recipe: Texas Marinated Brisket
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 lg cloves garlic — finely chopped
- 1 c finely chopped onion
- 1/3 c red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp hot pepper sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 6 lb beef brisket
- Heat oil in medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion; cook for 8 minutes or until softened. Stir in vinegar, lemon juice, hot sauce, ketchup, mustard and cayenne. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 20 minutes or until cooled.
- Place meat in roasting pan. Brush both sides of meat with sauce, spooning any remaining sauce on top. Cover ;refrigerate overnight.
- To bake; heat oven to 350. Bake meat, covered, for 2 hours. Reduce oven temperature to 250; cook 6 hours or until fork tender.
- Slice meat against grain.
- Serve with bottled barbecue sauce (or your own favorite recipe) for dipping.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)