Recipe: Tomato Pepper Steak
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 celery ribs — chopped
- 1 garlic clove — minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes — undrained
- 2 medium green peppers — julienned
- 1 medium onion — cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- Cut beef into 3-in x 1/4-in strips. Heat oil in a large skillet; brown beef over medium-high heat.
- Add broth, celery, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes, peppers and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables have reached desired tenderness. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to pan.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 mintues. Serve over rice.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)