Recipe: Top Round Aromatica
- 2 lb Top round beef steak, cut
- 1 inch thick 1 1/2 tb Crushed black (Java) pepper
- 1 tb Butter
- 1/4 ts Garlic powder
- 1 tb Vegetable oil
- 1/4 c Dry red wine
- 2 tb Cognac
- 1/2 c Heavy cream (optional)
- 2 tb Fresh chopped parsley
- Salt Parsley sprigs
- Combine crushed pepper, butter, and garlic into a paste. Spread evenly on both sides of the steak. Heat oil in heavy frying pan over medium high heat.
- When very hot, add steak and brown evenly on both sides. Allow 7 minutes per side for rare, 8 minutes for medium rare, and 9 minutes for medium.
- Place steak on a serving platter and keep warm. Deglaze the pan with the wine and cognac and cook 1 minute.
- Reduce heat, add cream and chopped parsley and continue cooking 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt.
- Carve steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Pour the sauce over steak and garnish with parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)