Recipe: Tostada Pie
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 16 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 8 corn tortillas
- butter or margarine — room temperature 4 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Garnish- sour cream minced green onion
- Saute onion in a skillet in hot oil. Add ground beef, chili powder, ground cum in, salt, and garlic. When ground beef is brown, stir in tomato sauce. Heat t hrough. Stir in black olives. Prepare foil handles. Place in any size Crock-Pot. Lightly butter one corn to rtilla. Lay buttered side up on foil stirps. Spread with meat sauce and a lay er of cheese. Cover with another buttered tortilla, more meat sauce and cheese .
- Repeat layers ending with cheese. Cover; cook on HIGH 1 hour. When ready t o serve lift out, using foil handles, and transfer to serving dish. discard fo il handles. Cut into wedges. Serve with sour cream and green onion if desired .
- To make the handles: Tear off three 20 x 3-inch strips of heavy foil or use regular foil folded to d ouble thickness. Crisscross the foil strips in a spoke design. If preparing a Mexican tortilla stack meal: place the foil strips in a spoke design in the Crock-Pot.
- Then layer the torti llas and meat and cheese mixtures on top of the foil in the Crock-Pot. When ready to serve, simple lift the foil handles from the Crock-Pot and remove the meal to a serving dish.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)