Recipe: Tostado Quiche
- 1 frozen deep dish pastry shell — (9-inch)
- 2 avocados — peeled, seeded and
- mashed 1 garlic clove — minced
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tomato — peeled, seeded and
- chopped 1 Can whole green — (4 oz.)
- chilies — seeded and chopped 1/4 Tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 8 Oz. ground beef
- 1/4 C. chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix — (1 to 2)
- 1 1/2 C. shredded Cheddar cheese (6 oz.)
- 3 eggs — slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 C. half and half
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1/8 Tsp. pepper
- corn chips chopped tomatoes shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Let frozen pastry shell stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Do not prick the pastry shell. In a small bowl mix avocados, garlic and lemon juice. Stir in one chopped tomato, one tablespoon green chilies and hot pepper sauce.
- Cover and refrigerate. Bake pastry shell 7 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. In a medium skillet combine ground beef, onion, remaining green chilies and taco seasoning mix.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until ground beef is browned and onion is tender. Drain ground beef mixture. Layer cheese and then ground beef mixture in the pastry shell. In a medium bowl combine eggs, half and half, salt and pepper. Beat with a fork or whisk until mixed well, but not frothy. Pour egg mixture over ground beef.
- Bake 45 minutes or until knife is clean. Let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with lettuce, tomato and avocado mixture.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: English