Recipe: Ukrainian Beef Strogonov
- 3 lb Filet mignon tips
- 1 c Onion finely chopped
- 4 tb Butter unsalted
- 1 1/2 lb Mushrooms small 1/2″ or – smaller
- 2/3 c Heavy cream
- 3/4 c Sour cream or plain yogurt2 1/4 ts Dijon mustard
- 2 tb Dill fresh, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 tb Fresh parsley
- 2/3 c Beef stock
- Salt & pepper to taste 2 3/4 ts Flour
- Slice the beef into thin strips approx. 1 1/2″ – 2″ in length. Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat and add the meat a few stripos at a time to sear the meat.
- Remove the meat from the heat and set aside. Reduce the heat in the skillet to medium and melt the butter. Add the onion, saute’, until soft.
- Raise the ehat to med-high, add the mushrooms, saute;, stir frequently, cook for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Lower heat to med-low sprinkle in the flour, stir well for 1-3 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, cream, sour cream, & mustard. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for for 5-7 minutes.
- DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL! Return the meat to the skillet, mix with sauce, stir in the dill & parsley, and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)