Recipe: Vegetable-Stuffed Meat Loaf
- 1/2 c Carrot — shredded
- 1/2 c Potato — shredded
- 1 tb Oil
- 1 Egg — beaten
- 2 tb Milk
- 1/2 c Bread crumbs — fine & dry
- 3 tb Parsley — snipped
- 1/2 ts Onion salt
- 1/4 ts Garlic powder
- 1/4 ts Pepper
- 1 1/2 lb Ground beef — lean
- 3 tb Catsup
- 1 t Mustard — prepared
- In a small skillet cook carrot and potato in hot oil till tender, stirring occasionally. In a medium mixing bowl combine egg and milk. Stir in bread crumbs, parsley, onion salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Add ground meat and mix well. Criscross three 18×2-inch foil strips atop a sheet of waxed paper.
- In the center of the foil strips pat half of the meat mixture into a 5-inch circle. Spread carrot mixture on meat circle to within 1/2″ of edges.
- On another sheet of waxed paper, pat remaining meat mixture into a 6″ circle. Invert atop the first circle.
- Remove paper. Press edges of meat to seal well. Bringing up foil strips, transfer meat to a crockery cooker. (Leave Foil strips under meat during cooking).
- Press meat away from sides of the cooker. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 9 1/2-11 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2-4 hours.
- In a bowl combine catsup and mustard. Spread over meat. Cover; cook on low-heat or high-heat setting for additional 30 minutes.
- Using the foil strips, transfer meat loaf to a platter; discard the foil strips.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)