Recipe: Vegetarian Egg Rolls
- 1 pk Egg roll wrappers Or
- 1 recipe of cheese blintz pan Sesame oil
- 1 c Celery, finely chopped
- 1 Onion, small, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c Cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 c Mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 Green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 c Water chestnuts, finely chop
- 1 c Sprouts, bean or seed, fresh
- 1/4 c Soybeans, dry cooked and -pureed
- 3 tb Soy sauce
- 2 1/2 c Brown rice, cooked
- These egg rolls make an excellent first course, or when eaten right with the cooked rice, a whole meal.
- Just be sure, if you eat them without rice, that you include rice in the meal to complement the soybeans. In a wok or frying pan saute the vegetables in sesame oil in the order given.
- After the onion has started sauteing, add the remaining vegetables quickly so that the total time with the heat on is about 5 minutes.
- As soon as you add the bean sprouts to the pan, turn off the heat. Stir the pureed soybeans and soy sauce together.
- Then stir this mixture into the vegetables. The whole mixture may be chilled several hours, or used warm.
- To prepare the rolls: place about 1/4 cup filling in the center of each pancake or egg roll wrapper; fold the corners over envelope-style and seal with a flour-water paste. Heat a large frying pan with oil in the bottom.
- Fry the rolls until they are crisp and brown, turning only once. You may deep fry the rolls if you are into deep frying, but they are better cooked only in a little oil.
- Drain on paper bags or towels. Keep the rolls hot in a 250~ oven up to an hour. Or reheat them at 450~ for about 10 minutes.
- Serve 2 egg rolls with about 1 cup of cooked rice and any of the following: mustard, horseradish, soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, or hot sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)