Recipe: Vegetarian Gravy
- 2 c Kidney bean; cooking juice -or from pinto or adzuki -beans
- 2 tb Tamari soy sauce;up to 3 tb -or dark miso
- 1 tb Oil, natural
- 1/3 c Whole wheat flour; or millet -flour or quinoa flour
- 1/4 ts Chili powder;up to 1/2 tsp -or curry powder
- 1/4 ts Sea salt
- 1/4 ts Sea kelp
- Cayenne pepper;several dashs Use previously frozen bean “juice” or cook 1/2-1 lb beans until very tender and drain off and save 2 cups of the liquid.
- Use the ‘muddiest’ part of the liquid for this recipe. Use the beans in another recipe or freeze them for later use.
- Combine all the ingredients with cooled bean juice and stir over medium-low heat until thickened. Use a wire whisk or blender to mix well.
- Correct the seasonings to taste and serve this gravy over potatoes, rice, whole grains, vegetables, mock meat loaf, burgers or other dishes.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)