Recipe: Vegetarian Red Bean Stew
- 2 cups dried red beans — washed sorted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 medium white onions — diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves — crushed
- 1 7-ounce can diced green chili peppers — mild fire roasted
- 2 medium parsnips — peel and chop
- 2 medium carrots — peel and chop
- 2 celery ribs — chopped
- 1 medium zucchini — trimmed and sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash — trimmed and sliced
- red or green salsa — for garnish
- shredded cheddar cheese — for topping
- Wash, sort and generally pick over the dried beans, discarding debris. Place the beans in a pot with 2 quarts of water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook until the small beans are creamy, not powdery, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook the onions with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, reduce the heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the aroma is released.
- Pour the red beans and cooking liquid into the stockpot, along with the chili peppers, parsnips and carrots. Turn the heat up to medium and cook at a low boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables and 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)