Recipe: Vegetarian Shepherd’S Pie
- 5 garlic cloves — crushed
- 1 red bell pepper — chopped
- 1 green bell pepper — chopped
- 2 medium zucchini — thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned tomatoes — crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/3 cups pinto beans, cooked — drained
- 1 1/3 cups black beans, cooked — drained
- 1 1/3 cups chickpeas, cooked — drained
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the Oven to 375 degreesF. Saute 2 cloves garlic for 1 min. Add the red and green peppers, and zuccini and saute, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Add 3/4 cup of the crushed tomatoes, salt, and black pepper, and cook uncovered three minutes longer. Place the Pinto beans, Black Beans, Chickpeas, remaining garlic and tomatoes in food processor, and puree until smooth.
- Spoon the puree into a lightly greased 9″ pie plan. Top with the skillet mixture. Then spood the mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly browned. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)