Recipe: Vegetarian Sierra Stew
- 1 Cup uncooked kidney beans
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion — thinly sliced
- 4 Large clov garlic — minced
- 1 green bell pepper — (Seeded And Coarsely Chopped)
- 1 Cup green cabbage — (Coarsely Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Diced Russet Potatoes — unpeeled
- 1 Can Tomatoes/16 Oz — including liquid
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder or more to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Cup Uncooked Brown Rice
- 4 Cups Water Or Vegetable
- Broth Salt
- Free Seasoning Black Pepper To Taste
- Optional garnishes: 1/4 cup jalapeno- or pepper-flavored monterey jack cheese, salsa and/or low-fat sour cream or nonfat yogurt.
- Wash kidney beans well, removing any pebbles or misshapen beans. Place in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let beans soak overnight, then drain the water.
- Rinse well and set aside. In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil and saute onion and garlic until onion is soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes with liquid, chili powder and cumin.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Add rice, water or broth and beans.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 2 hours on stovetop or 6 hours in a slow cooker, until stew is thick and beans and rice are tender.
- Season with salt-free seasoning and pepper. Serve and top with garnishes, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)