Recipe: Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 lb Dry red kidney beans
- 1 c Brown rice
- 6 Green peppers
- 3 tb Olive oil
- 4 Garlic (minced)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 2 Stalks celery (diced)
- 2 Carrots (diced)
- 2 Tomatoes – peeled, seeded,
- 1/2 ts Dried basil
- 1/4 ts Dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 ts Dried oregano
- Bring 2 1/2 cups salted water to boil, add 1 cup rice, cover and simmer for 45 minutes (or until all liquid is absorbed).
- Put 2 tablespoons olive oil in frying pan and add the minced garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots and saute for an additional 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and mix with the rice.
- Add the seasonings (all the dried seasonings, plus salt and pepper) and mix well. Mix in the beans with 2 tablespoons of the reserved liquid.
- Cut the tops off the green peppers and remove the seeds. Stand peppers in shallow baking dish that has been brushed with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Fill peppers with bean and rice mixture. Ladle seasoned diced tomatoes over top of each pepper and top off each with a tablespoon of reserved liquid.
- Cover dish and roast in 350′ oven for 35-45 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)