Recipe: Veggie Flavored Pasta- No Egg
- 1 c Flour, all purpose Preferably durum semolina
- 1/3 c Water
- 1 tb Olive oil (optional)
- Use one of following only: 1/4 c Tomato Juice (for red) 1/3 c Carrot Puree (for orange) 1/3 c Beet Puree (for red) 1 c Spinach puree (for green)
- To make by hand, use a floured pastry cloth, put dry ingredients on cloth, and make a “well” in the center of flour mixture, add liquid ingredients in the well, and knead the dough, working the flour to the center as you knead.
- After it forms a ball, knead by hand for several minutes.
- To make with a food processor, put all ingredients in the bowl. Process for 1 minute until dough begins to form.
- Adjust liquid or flour if necessary, continue to knead in the machine for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes.
- To make with bread machine, place ingredients into baking pan. Use the dough cycle, knead for 1/2 min.
- Adjust flour and liquid to form a round ball of dough. Knead for another 5 minutes, then press stop button.
IF YOU HAVE A PASTA MACHINE, CONTINUE ACCORDING TO INSTRUCTIONS.
- To complete the pasta by hand, roll the dough into sheets, as thin as it is possible to roll it on a floured pastry cloth with a rolling pin.
- Then shape into long thin spaghetti like strips, or wider for noodles. Cut with a pie crimper for a fancy edge and twist into bowknots.
- Use your imagination. Allow to dry a minimum of 10-20 minutes, or longer, if necessary. It may be dried for several hours, put into a ziploc bag and refrigerated or frozen.
- To cook, drop into boiling water (with a little salt, optional), and cook just until al dente. Do not overcook. Serve with your favorite sauce.
- You can make a white pasta, leaving out the vegetables, or you can use your imagination, be creative, and use any number of other veggies.
- Try green, yellow, red, purple, orange pepper puree; yellow summer squash or zucchini; winter squash, pumpkin or sweet potato; broccoli, green beans, vegetarian refried beans.
- The list is endless. Just use approximately one-third cup of the one you choose.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)