Recipe: Venison Chili
- 3 T Vegetable oil
- 1 ea Large onion, finely choped
- 2 ea Large garlic, minced
- 1 ea Small hot green chili
- 1x Pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 1/4 lb Venison, cut into1/2″ cubes
- 3/4 lb Ground venison (or pork)
- 28 oz Can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 T Red wine vinegar
- 3 T Ground chili powder
- 2 T Ground cumin
- 2 T Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 t Cayenne pepper, plus a pinch
- 1 ea Large green bell pepper,
- 1 x Seeded and chopped
- 2 t Salt or to taste
- 1 x Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 oz Can of red kidney beans, dra
- 3 T Masa Harina (or fine cornmea
- 1 x Mixed with a little water
- 1 x Into a smooth paste for thic
- Heat the oil in a very large skillet. Stir in the onion, garlic, and chile pepper. Saute over med-hi heat until the onion is just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed and the ground venison and continue cooking for about four to five minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the ground meat is no longer red.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the beans and the masa harina (or cornmeal).
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The stew should be fairly thick. Stir in the kidney beans and the masa harina and heat through. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: USA (General)