Recipe: Vryonoye Miaso Po-Russki (Boiled Beef Russian-Style)
- 1 lb Beef marrow bones
- 2 qt ;Water
- 1 Onion; cubed 1/2″
- 1 Carrot; sliced
- 2 Celery ribs; w/leaves sliced
- 1 Turnip; peeled cubed 1/2″
- 8 Peppercorns, whole
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 tb Parsley; fresh; chopped
- 4 tb Dill, fresh; chopped
- 3 lb Beef rump roast, boneless
- 1 1/2 ts Salt
- 2 Garlic clove; chopped
- Place the peppercorns, bay leaves, parsley, and dill into a small cloth bag. Tie the bag closed. Put water, marrow bones, the bag of spices, the vegetables, & salt into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, skim the foam off as it occurs.
- Cook for 10 minutes at a boil, add the beef roast, boil for 3 minutes, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 3 1/2 hours.
- Be sure to skim occassionaly. Remove from heat, remove the roast from the pot, slice for serving.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Russian