Recipe: Walter Mcilhenney’S Chili
- 1/4 c Vegetable Oil
- 3 lb Lean Beef Chuck, 1″ Cubes
- 1 c Chopped Onions
- 3 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 3 tb Chili Powder
- 2 ts Ground Cumin
- 2 ts Salt
- 2 ts Tabasco Pepper Sauce
- 3 c Water
- 4 oz Chopped Green Chilies
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. In three batches, brown the beef well, removing each batch with a slotted spoon.
- Set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, salt, and Tabasco sauce; cook for 1 minute. Add the water and chilies; bring to a boil.
- Return the beef to the pot. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, 1-1/2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Serve the chili over rice with onion, cheese and sour cream, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)