Recipe: West African Pot Roast
- 3 1/2 lb. boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion — thinly sliced
- 1 cup water mixed with 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 4 to 5 qt. ovenproof pot over medium heat. Pat meat dry with paper towels. Add to hot oil along with onion.
- Brown meat on all sides. Stir onion occasionally. Add water mixed with 1/2 cup peanut butter, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Cover tightly and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours in a preheated 325 oven, until meat is fork tender. Lift meat to a cutting board.
- Cover loosely with foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Skim fat from sauce.
- If you like, thicken the sauce by stirring in 3 tablespoons flour mixed with 1/4 cup water. Slice meat across the grain and serve with the sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: African