Recipe: Woodruff Special
- 4 Slices bacon
- Cabbage leaves (1/4 head) 1 md Onion, chopped
- 2 c Rice, cooked
- 1 cn Sauerkraut (large can, well Drained)
- 1 qt Spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb Chopped beef
- 1/2 ts Oregano
- Garlic salt to taste Salt and pepper to taste DIRECTIONS Fry the bacon fairly crisp and reserve it.
- Use the bacon fat to grease a pan or casserole (a 10″ x 12″ x 2″ pan is just about right for this recipe).
- Tear cabbage leaves as necessary to line the bottom of the pan, about 2-3 leaves thick.
- Break up the chopped beef and crumble on top of the cabbage leaves. Crumble the bacon pieces on top of the beef.
- Add the chopped onion, and then add salt, pepper, garlic salt and oregano. Cover this with the cooked rice and then the sauerkraut.
- Cover with another layer of cabbage leaves, about 2-3 leaves thick.
- Finally, pour the spaghetti sauce on top, distributing it evenly. Bake, covered at 325 degrees for 3-4 hours.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)