Recipe: The World’S Finest Leg Of Lamb
- 1/2 pound) leg of lamb
- 3 cloves
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Trim the excess fat on the meat, but leave a thin layer. Make 1−inch slits all over the meat, and insert a slice of garlic into each slit.
- Rub well with a liberal coating of olive oil, and then coat heavily with salt and pepper.
- Wrap securely with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least several hours − the longer, the better! Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Heat an ovenproof skillet large enough to hold the lamb comfortably. Remove the lamb to a platter, and pour off all but 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with the rosemary. Place the lamb on top, and cover the lamb with more rosemary.
- Place in the oven, and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F after 20 minutes. Roast 40 minutes longer.
- Take the lamb, in its pan, outside. Ignite the rosemary on the top of the lamb. Allow the fire to burn itself out.
- Brush off the woody stems. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter, and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)