Recipe: Simple Turnip Greens
- 4 1/2 pounds turnip greens
- 1 pound salt pork
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from greens. Wash greens thoroughly.
- Drain and tare greens in to pieces; set aside. Slice salt pork at 1−inch intervals cutting to but not through the skin.
- Combine salt pork, 3 quarts water, pepper and if desired sugar in a Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Add greens and cook uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)