Recipe: Dairy-Free Banana Bread
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large over-ripe bananas, mashed (see note)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 125g fresh blueberries non-dairy spread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 9cm x 22cm (base) loaf pan.
- Line pan with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends. Sift flours and mixed spice into a bowl.
- Stir in sugar. Combine banana, eggs, oil and milk in a large jug. Gradually stir egg mixture into flour mixture until combined.
- Gently stir in blueberries. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth surface with a spatula. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Slice and serve fresh or toasted with non-dairy spread.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)