Recipe: Gluten-Free Apple Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 small pink lady apples
- Warmed honey, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced.Grease a 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan. Combine flour, cinnamon and 2/3 cup brown sugar in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre. Add milk, oil and egg. Using a wooden spoon, stir until just combined. Peel and grate 1 apple.
- Fold grated apple into muffin mixture. Spoon mixture into holes of prepared pan. Core and quarter remaining apple.
- Thinly slice. Arrange 2 to 3 apple slices on top of each muffin. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve drizzled with honey, if using.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)