Recipe: Gluten-Free Plum Pudding
- 350g raisins, coarsely chopped
- 300g sultanas
- 1 x 300g pkt currants
- 185ml (3/4 cup) rum
- Melted butter, to grease
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 200g (1 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 140g (2 cups) fresh gluten & wheat-free breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 120g (1/2 cup) soy compound
- 70g (1 cup) Farex Baby Rice
- 80g (1/2 cup) Orgran Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Bought gluten-free vanilla custard, warmed, to serve
- Place raisins, sultanas and currants in a glass or ceramic bowl. Stir in the rum. Cover and set aside, stirring every few hours, for 6 hours to macerate.
- Brush a 2L (8-cup) capacity pudding basin with melted butter to grease. Line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the breadcrumbs, soy compound, baby rice, combined flour, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add the raisin mixture and stir to combine. Spoon into the prepared basin. Smooth the surface.
- Place an upturned heatproof saucer in the base of a large saucepan. Fill one-third of the saucepan with boiling water. Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Cut a 30cm-square piece of non-stick baking paper and a 30cm-square piece of foil. Place the paper on top of the foil and fold to make a wide pleat in the centre. Place over the basin, foil-side up. Tie a double piece of kitchen string under the rim of the basin to secure foil. To make a handle, tie a double piece of string loosely over the top of the basin. Scrunch the paper and foil around the rim so they don’t get wet.
- Use the handle to lower the basin onto the saucer in the saucepan. Add enough boiling water to reach two-thirds of the way up the side of the basin.
- Simmer, covered, adding more boiling water when necessary, for 4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the pudding comes out clean.
- Set aside for 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve with custard.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)