Recipe: Gluten-free sponge
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free maize cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free raspberry jam
- 300ml thickened cream, whipped
- 2 teaspoons pure icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease two 20cm (base) round cake pans. Line bases with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar dissolves.
- Sift cornflour and baking powder together (see tip). Add to egg mixture. Gently fold to combine. Divide mixture between prepared pans. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until sponges spring back when touched. Line a wire rack with baking paper. Turn sponge out onto wire racks to cool.
- Spread 1 cake with jam and cream. Top with remaining sponge. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)