Recipe: Wheat-Free Christmas Pudding
- Melted butter, to grease
- 125g butter, softened
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 2 tbs orange marmalade
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 70g (1 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old gluten-free bread)
- 240g (1 1/2 cups) Healtheries Simple Apricot & Coconut Muesli
- 200g (1/2 cup) mixed glace fruit
- 225g (1 cup) Healtheries Simple Baking Mix Icing sugar, to dust
- Place an upturned heatproof saucer on the base of a large saucepan.
- Fill one-third of the saucepan with boiling water and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Grease a 1L (4-cup) capacity pudding basin with melted butter. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, golden syrup, marmalade and cinnamon in a bowl until pale.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in breadcrumbs, muesli, fruit and baking mix.
- Spoon into prepared basin and smooth the surface. Cut a 30cm-square piece of non-stick baking paper and a 30cm-square piece of foil.
- Place the paper on top of the foil and fold to make a wide pleat in the centre. Place the pleated cover over the basin, foil-side up.
- Tie a doubled piece of unwaxed white kitchen string under the rim of the basin to secure. Scrunch the paper and foil around the rim so they don’t get wet. Place basin onto saucer in the saucepan.
- Add enough boiling water to reach two-thirds of the way up the basin. Cover pan with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer, covered, on medium-low heat, adding more boiling water as necessary, for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the pudding comes out clean.
- Remove basin from the pan and set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Turn onto a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar to serve .
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)