Recipe: Baked ham on cranberry brown rice (gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) brown rice
- 4 x 200g slices kassler pork
- or ham steaks (1.5cm thick)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (75g) dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped mint
- 20g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Steamed green beans and wholegrain mustard, to serve
- Bring 3 cups (750ml) water to the boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice, then lower heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Brush kassler or ham with oil. Heat a large, non-stick frypan over high heat and fry, in batches, for 1-2 minutes each side until lightly browned. Set the ham aside. Drain excess oil from pan and reduce heat to low. Add the maple syrup and warm through. Return meat to pan and coat with maple glaze.
- Drain rice and place in a bowl. Add the cranberries, mint, butter and pecans and toss to combine.
- Serve with ham, green beans and wholegrain mustard.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)