Recipe: Buckwheat noodles with spicy bolognaise (gluten-free)
- 20ml (1 tbs) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g pork mince
- 20ml (1 tbs) tamari sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbs mild paprika
- 150ml dry white wine or sherry
- 425g can crushed tomatoes
- 170ml can tomato juice
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves, plus a few whole leaves, to serve
- 300g buckwheat noodles
- 1/2 telegraph cucumber, sliced
- Place oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until it softens. Add garlic and pork and cook, stirring, until meat has browned, breaking up any large lumps of meat with a fork. Add tamari sauce and spices and cook for 1 minute, then add wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato juice and seasoning.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 8-10 minutes until reduced and thickened. Stir in coriander.
- Cook the noodles according to packet directions. Drain and divide between bowls. Top with bolognaise sauce and garnish with cucumber and the whole coriander leaves.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)