Recipe: Crunchy muesli bars (wheat and gluten free)
- 3 1/2 cups wheat and gluten free muesli (we used Healtheries brand)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 11/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (see note)
- 100g butter
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/4 honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm (base) slab pan. Line with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends.
- Combine muesli, coconut, cinnamon, pepitas, sunflower seeds and cornflour in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Place butter, golden syrup and honey in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on high (100%) for 1 to 2 minutes, or until melted and bubbling.
- Pour hot syrup into muesli mixture. Stir to combine. Spread mixture evenly over prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove from oven. Allow to cool in pan. Lift slice from pan. Cut into bars.
- Cornflour is produced using either wheat or corn. Use the corn variety to ensure muesli bars are wheat and gluten free.
- Tip: You can make the bars up to 5 days ahead. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- Variation: Decorate bars with chocolate. Place 100g dark chocolate in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on high (100%) for 1 to 2 minutes or until just melted. Stir until smooth. Spoon melted chocolate into a snap-lock bag and snip off corner. Pipe over muesli bars. Set aside for 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)