Recipe: Dairy-free custard freeze with maple pecans
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Combine cornflour and 1/4 cup soy milk in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Stir until smooth. Stir in remaining milk. Microwave on medium-high (75%) for 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds or until hot (make sure mixture doesn’t boil).
- Meanwhile, using an electric hand mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute or until pale. Pour milk mixture over egg mixture. Stir to combine. Microwave on medium-high (75%) for 1 minute 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave on medium-high (75%) for 1 minute 30 seconds or until custard is thick. Pour mixture into four 1/2 cup-capacity dishes. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 2 to 3 hours or until just frozen.
- Place pecans between 2 pieces of paper towel. Place on a plate. Microwave on low (20%) for 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted. Cool. Cut into small pieces. Combine pecans and maple syrup in a jug.
- To serve, run a knife around the inside of each dish. Turn custards out onto plates. Serve topped with maple pecans.
- We used an 800-watt microwave for this recipe.
- If tops are uneven after freezing, trim with a knife before turning out onto plates.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)