Recipe: Dairy-free roast potatoes with chicken mornay
- 4 large (1kg) pontiac potatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 2cm cubes
- 30g dairy-free spread
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 100g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Prick potatoes all over with a fork. Place around the edge of a microwave turntable. Cook on high (100%) for 6 minutes. Transfer to a roasting pan. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Rub potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, turning occasionally, for 30 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned and almost cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Heat spread until foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to the boil. Add stock powder, carrot, broccoli and chicken. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender and chicken cooked through. Remove from heat. Stir in half the parsley.
- Cut a cross in the top of each potato. Covering hands with a clean tea towel, push in sides of each potato to expose flesh. Place potatoes on plates. Top with chicken mixture and remaining parsley. Season with pepper. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)