Recipe: Egg-Free Mushroom And Parmesan Quiche
- 1 sheet frozen ready-rolled shortcrust quiche pastry, partially thawed
- 40g butter
- 250g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 100g baby spinach
- 1 medium red capsicum, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fanforced. Line a 23cm round (base) loose-based fluted flan tin with pastry. Trim excess. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, melt one-quarter of the butter in a non-stick saucepan over low heat.
- Add mushroom and onion. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mushroom has softened. Transfer to a colander. Drain. Melt remaining butter in pan over medium-high heat.
- Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in half the chives and half the parmesan.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap. Set aside. Place flan tin on an oven tray. Cover pastry with baking paper. Fill with uncooked rice or ceramic pie weights. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and rice or weights. Cook pastry for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Increase temperature to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Spoon mushroom mixture into pastry case.
- Top with flour mixture. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden. Sprinkle with remaining chives.
- Combine spinach and capsicum in a bowl. Serve quiche with spinach mixture.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)