Recipe: Free-form apple pie
- 2 cups (320g) wholemeal plain flour
- 80g Becel diet polyunsaturated reduced fat spread
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chilled Berri apple juice
- 3 Granny Smith apples, quartered, core removed
- Large pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp demerara sugar
- Norco Light Prestige (Low GI) rich vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Place the flour and margarine in the bowl of a food processor. Process until fine crumbs form. Add the apple juice and process until the mixture just comes together. Knead the dough lightly.
- Roll out pastry on a sheet of non-stick baking paper to make a 30cm circle. Place onto a baking tray and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut each apple quarter into four wedges.
- Place the apples in a large bowl. Add the cinnamon and toss to coat. Pile the apples onto the centre of the pastry, leaving a 7cm border.
- Sprinkle over the demerara sugar. Fold over the edges of the pastry to partially enclose the apples. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Serve with the ice cream.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)