Recipe: Free-Form Cherry Cheesecakes
- 10 (125g) gingernut biscuits
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon gelatine
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 410g can pitted black cherries
- Place biscuits in a food processor and pulse until broken into small pieces (coarser than crumbs). Spoon into the base of four 3/4-cup capacity glass dishes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. In another bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Combine gelatine and 2 teaspoons cold water in a small heatproof bowl. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring, until gelatine is dissolved. Alternatively, heat in a microwave on HIGH (100%) for 20 seconds. Allow to stand for 5 minutes or until the same temperature as the cream cheese mixture.
- Add gelatine mixture to cream cheese mixture and stir until well combined. Fold whipped cream through mixture. Spoon onto biscuit bases. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Blend cornflour and 2 tablespoons cold water in a small bowl to a smooth paste. Combine cherries (including their syrup) and cornflour mixture in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture just comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Spoon over cream cheese mixture. Return to fridge for 30 minutes or until set.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)