Recipe: Free-form eggplant lasagne with pine nut dressing
- 2 (16 x 30cm) fresh lasagne sheets
- 1 200g container olive spread (Savion brand)
- 60g baby spinach leaves
- 250g chargrilled eggplant, drained
- 250g chargrilled red capsicum, drained
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
Pine nut dressing
- 2 tbs bought toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Stack the lasagne sheets on a clean work surface. Cut the sheets in half lengthways, then cut each half crossways into thirds to make 12 rectangles. Cook in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 3 minutes or according to packet directions until al dente. Drain and rinse briefly under cold running water until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, to make the pine nut dressing, place the pine nuts, oil and vinegar in a small jug. Whisk to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the lasagne, place a lasagne rectangle on each serving plate. Use the back of a spoon to spread a quarter of the olive spread over each piece. Top with the spinach leaves and then another layer of lasagne rectangle. Top with the eggplant, a final lasagne rectangle and then the capsicum.
- Sprinkle with the basil leaves and drizzle with the pine nut dressing. Serve immediately
- The lasagne can be assembled to the end of step 3 up to 1 hour ahead of serving. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside. Tip: Wrap unused lasagne sheets in plastic wrap and store in the fridge, or freeze following packet instructions.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)