Recipe: Free-Form Pizza Tarts
- 4 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry (see note), thawed
- 2 tbs sundried tomato pesto
- 1 egg, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbs thickened cream
- 3/4 cup (80g) grated pizza cheese (or use a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar)
- 1/4 cup (35g) sundried tomatoes
- 100g thinly sliced salami
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (30g) pitted kalamata olives,
- halved 1/4 cup basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Cut the pastry sheets into four 20cm circles, then transfer to the lined baking trays.
- Spread a little pesto on each pastry circle, leaving a 2cm border, then roll up the edges to resemble a pizza crust. In a bowl, lightly beat egg, extra yolk and cream together with a fork, then stir in half the cheese.
- Season, then carefully pour over the pizza bases. Top bases with sundried tomatoes, salami, onion and olives, then bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle over remaining cheese and bake for a further 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and pastry is crisp.
- Scatter with basil leaves, then cut into wedges and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)