Recipe: Free Form Plum Tart
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 125g butter, cut into cubes, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 2 x 400g cans of plums, well drained, halved, stones removed
- 1 eggwhite, beaten
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. In a food processor, combine flour, icing sugar, butter and vanilla until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add egg. Process to a soft pastry, adding iced water if needed.
- Remove pastry and knead gently until smooth. Flatten into a 2cm-thick disc. Wrap in greaseproof paper. Place in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes. Roll pastry to a 30cm circle. Place on baking tray.
- Leaving a 3cm border, sprinkle nuts over pastry. Top with plums. Fold pastry over plums, leaving half the plums exposed.
- Brush eggwhite over pastry border. Sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Serve with ice-cream, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)