Recipe: Free-form vegetable pie
- 50g butter
- 1 (about 400g) swede, peeled, cut in half lengthways, cut into
- 1cm-thick slices
- 1 (about 300g) parsnip, peeled, cut into 2cm-thick batons
- 1 (about 200g) orange sweet potato (kumara), peeled, cut crossways into 1cm-thick slices
- 1 large (about 200g) carrot, cut into 2cm-thick batons
- 1 sachet bouquet garni (MasterFoods brand) 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 sheets (25 x 25cm) frozen ready rolled butter puff pastry (Pampas brand), partially thawed
- 2 tbs horseradish cream
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary leaves Green salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to 230°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add swede, parsnip, sweet potato and carrot. Cut open bouquet garni sachet and sprinkle over vegetables. Add stock, bring to the boil over a high heat. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cut a 20cm-diameter disc from each pastry sheet. Cut each disc into quarters. Place on lined tray. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Place a pastry piece on each plate. Spoon over some of the vegetable mixture, top with 2 tsp of horseradish cream and another pastry triangle. Sprinkle with rosemary to garnish. Serve with green salad.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)