Recipe: Gluten-free caramelised onion and thyme tarts
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g fresh reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 25g butter
- 3 medium brown onions, halved, sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups gluten-free plain flour
- 150g butter, chilled, chopped pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chilled water
- Make pastry Process flour, butter and salt until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and water. Process until mixture comes together. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, adding extra flour if necessary. Shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Divide pastry into 8 portions. Roll 1 portion out between 2 sheets baking paper until 1cm thick. Line a 2cm-deep, 10cm (top), loose-based fluted flan tin. Repeat with remaining pastry and 7 fluted flan tins. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced. Place a large baking tray in oven. Line pastry cases with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Place tins on hot baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights or rice. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Reduce oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Whisk eggs and ricotta together in a bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture between pastry cases. Bake for 20 minutes or until mixture is puffed and firm.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring often, for 15 to 20 minutes or until onion is soft. Add vinegar and half the thyme. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Top tarts with onion mixture. Sprinkle with remaining thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)