Recipe: Gluten-free fruit & nut loaves with sugar topping
- 1 firmly packed cup (200g) brown sugar
- 250g natural yoghurt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder (see note)
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (125g) almond meal
- 1 cup (200g) rice flour
- 1 cup (140g) mixed dried fruit and nuts, roughly chopped
- 50g white sugar cubes
- 1 eggwhite, whisked until frothy
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Grease and line base and 2 long sides of an 8-hole mini loaf pan with baking paper. Beat sugar, yoghurt, egg yolks and oil in a bowl with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in baking powder, soda, almond meal, rice flour, nut mix and a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggwhites to firm peaks, then fold into batter. Spoon into holes almost to the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden and risen.
- For topping, place cubes in a zip-lock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Brush tops with eggwhite. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 5-6 minutes until sugar slightly melts and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes in pan. Lift out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)