Recipe: Gluten-free lemon and passionfruit cakes
- 6 eggwhites, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- 185g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 2/3 cup gluten-free plain flour, sifted
- 2 passionfruit, halved
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced. Line a 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan with paper cases. Place eggwhites in a large bowl. Add icing sugar, almond meal, lemon rind, butter and flour. Whisk until just combined (see note).
- Spoon mixture into cases until three-quarters full. Top with passionfruit pulp. Using a skewer, swirl pulp through batter to create a marble effect. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of 1 cake comes out clean. Stand for 1 minute. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve.
- Don’t overmix batter or cakes will develop peaked tops and a tough texture.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)