Recipe: Gluten-free lemon curd meringue stacks
- 2 eggwhites
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
- Gluten-free icing sugar mixture, to serve
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 100g butter, chopped
- Preheat oven to 140°C/120°C fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Mark eight 6.5cm circles on each piece of baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites until stiff peaks form. Add sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating until dissolved. Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm nozzle. Starting from the centre, pipe a 6.5cm spiral in each marked circle. Bake for 15 minutes or until firm. Turn off oven. Cool in oven with door ajar.
- Make lemon curd: Place egg yolks, eggs, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice in a heavy-based saucepan. Whisk to combine. Add butter. Place over medium heat. Cook, whisking, for 7 to 8 minutes or until butter is melted and mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes. Pour into a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool.
- Place one meringue disc onto each plate. Top each with 1 tablespoon lemon curd followed by remaining meringue disc. Dollop 1 tablespoon remaining lemon curd on each. Top with raspberries. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)