Recipe: Gluten-free scones with jam and cream
- Melted Nuttelex dairy-free margarine, to grease
- 450g (3 cups) Basco gluten-free multipurpose baking mix
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder 310ml (1 1/4 cups) soy milk
- 2 tbs Nuttelex dairy-free margarine, extra, melted Potato flour, to dust
- Soy milk, extra, to brush
- Strawberry jam, to serve
- Double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a square 23cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted margarine to lightly grease.
- Combine baking mix, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Combine the soy milk and extra margarine in a bowl. Pour soy-milk mixture into the well in sugar mixture. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until evenly incorporated and mixture begins to hold together. Lightly dust a clean work surface with potato flour. Turn the dough onto the floured surface. Use your hands to gently press the dough out into a 3cm-thick disc. Use a 5cm-diameter round pastry cutter to cut out 16 scones. Place the scones, side by side, in the prepared pan. Lightly brush with extra soy milk.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until scones are light golden and sound hollow when tapped on the top. Remove from oven and wrap in a clean tea towel to keep warm. Serve with jam and cream.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)