Recipe: Guilt-Free Chocolate Cake
- Cooking spray, to grease
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 3 tbs cocoa powder
- 225g almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 500g low-fat ricotta, well drained
- 3 tbs honey
- 500g small strawberries
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Framboise or strawberry liqueur Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease three 20cm sandwich (sponge) pans?with cooking spray and line the bases with baking paper.
- Beat the eggwhites until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale.
- Fold the eggwhites into the yolk mixture, then fold in the cocoa, almond meal and baking powder.
- Divide between the 3 pans and bake for 15 minutes or until the mixture has just started to shrink away from the sides of the pans. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place the ricotta and honey in a food processor, and process until smooth. Hull and chop half the strawberries, and fold into the ricotta mixture with the liqueur.
- Place one cake on a serving platter, spread with half the cream, then place another cake on top.
- Spread with remaining cream, then finally add the remaining cake. Halve remaining strawberries, place on top of the cake and dust generously with icing sugar.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)