Recipe: Guilt-Free Chocolate Gelato
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp good-quality cocoa powder, sifted
- 375ml light evaporated milk
- 60g dark chocolate chopped
- 1 cup (280g) low-fat vanilla
- yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- Place the caster sugar, cornflour and cocoa powder in a saucepan. Add a little of the evaporated milk and mix to form a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining evaportated milk and cook over low heat, stirring, until the mixutre has thickened. Add the dark chocolate and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and cool for 15 minutes. Combine the chocolate mixture with the yoghurt and chill for 30 minutes, then pour the mixture into a wide shallow container and freeze until frozen at the edges.
- Remove from the freezer and beat with electric beaters. Pour back into the container and refreeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times, then freeze for 4 hours or until firm. (Alternatively, use an ice cream machine following the directions.)
- Serve scoops of chocolate gelato with the berry sorbet and a dollop of low-fat yoghurt, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)