Recipe: Guilt-Free Vanilla Ice-Cream
- 2 tsp powdered gelatine
- 60ml (1/4 cup) cold water
- 1 x 375ml light & creamy evaporated milk (Carnation brand)
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 80ml (1/3 cup) light thickened cream
- Sprinkle gelatine over the water in a small heatproof jug. Place jug in a small saucepan of simmering water and whisk with a fork until gelatine dissolves.
- Set aside for 2 minutes to cool slightly. Combine evaporated milk and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in gelatine mixture. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Use an electric beater to whisk the cream in a small bowl until frothy. Use tongs to remove the vanilla bean from the milk mixture.
- Use a sharp knife to scrape seeds from vanilla bean into the milk mixture. Discard bean. Use an electric beater to whisk the milk mixture in a large bowl until frothy. Gradually pour in cream and whisk until combined. Pour mixture into a 2L (8-cup) capacity shallow metal container.
- Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 3 hours or until just set. Roughly break up ice-cream with a large metal spoon and transfer to a bowl. Beat with an electric beater until smooth and doubled in size.
- Quickly return to container. Cover with foil and freeze for another 4 hours or until firm. Scoop into serving glasses to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)