Recipe: Individual free-form mixed berry tarts
- 300g mixed fresh or frozen berries
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 egg white
- 6 sugar cubes, crushed
- Thick cream, to serve
- 175g plain flour, sifted
- 40g lard
- 40g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- To make the pastry, place the flour, lard and butter in a food processor and process to combine. Add the egg yolk and 1-2 tablespoons of cold water and process until the mixture comes together to form a smooth ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the pastry and use to line the tart pans (leave 2cm overhanging).
- Combine the berries, cinnamon, cornflour and caster sugar in a medium bowl and use to fill the pastry-lined pans. Fold up the pastry overhang, pleating as you go.
- Brush the edges with egg white and sprinkle with sugar cubes. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve with cream.
- These tarts are excellent for picnics when made in disposable tart pans (you can pick them up from your local pie shop).
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)