Recipe: Lactose-free orange creme caramels
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 12 egg yolks (see note)
- 2 eggs
- Raspberries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 140°C/120°C fan-forced. Bring orange juice to the boil in a saucepan over high heat. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Set aside. Clean pan.
- Place sugar and 1 cup cold water in pan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add two-thirds sugar mixture to orange juice. Return remaining sugar mixture to heat. Boil, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, whisk yolks and eggs together in a bowl. Gradually whisk into orange mixture.
- Carefully pour sugar mixture into bases of six 2/3 cup-capacity metal moulds. Swirl to coat base and sides. Strain egg mixture into a jug. Divide mixture between moulds.
- Place moulds in a large baking dish. Pour boiling water into dish until halfway up sides of moulds. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden and just set. Remove from oven and baking dish. Set aside for 2 to 3 minutes to cool slightly.
- Carefully turn moulds onto plates. Gently tap bases to loosen. Serve with raspberries.
- Freeze leftover eggwhites, in 2 batches, in airtight containers or snap-lock bags for up to 3 months.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)