Recipe: Lamb biryani (gluten-free)
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 6 lamb fillets (500g total), cut in 2cm cubes
- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 20 fresh curry leaves
- 3 tbs (1/4 cup) gluten-free korma paste
- 1 cup (200g) basmati rice
- 3 cups (750ml) gluten-free vegetable stock
- 2 tbs currants
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Mango chutney and gluten-free pappadams, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based pan or casserole on high heat. Cook lamb for 3-4 minutes until just cooked. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Cook onion and curry leaves, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until onion is softened. Add paste and stir for 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat in paste, then add stock and currants.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until rice is tender. Stir in lamb and heat for 2 minutes. Serve with coriander, chutney and pappadams, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)