Recipe: Mocha Tart (Dairy-Free)
- 300g good-quality dark chocolate
- 400ml coffee-flavoured soy milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbs dark cocoa powder
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
- 75g almond meal
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour
- 75g olive oil spread
- 1 tbs icing sugar
- For shards, line a large baking tray with baking paper. Melt 200g chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (don’t let bowl touch water).
- Thinly spread chocolate onto tray with a palette knife. Cool, then chill until set. For pastry, place flour, spread and icing sugar in a food processor and whiz to combine.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons iced water and process until a smooth ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll out pastry and use to line a 23cm loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Chill for 10 minutes. Line pastry with baking paper and pastry weights or raw rice and blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights or rice, then cook for 5 minutes. Reduce oven to 160°C.
- Place soy milk and remaining chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring, until melted.
- Beat the eggs, cocoa, cornflour and sugar in a bowl, whisk in the chocolate mixture and add almond meal.
- Pour into pastry case, bake for 30 minutes until just set, then cool. Sprinkle tart with caster sugar.
- Cut chocolate into shards and garnish tart.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)